If you ride a motorcycle anywhere in Georgia, you're going to be required to carry motorcycle insurance. And in Georgia and 18 other states, plus D.C., you're going to be required to wear a helmet, too.image of rider on motorcycle in Georgia

Confusion over motorcycle insurance law likely comes from the fact that motorcycle can be used to include everything with a motor and two wheels. But it can also refer specifically to the kind of motorcycles Honda and Harley Davidson make. More specifically, we’re talking about full-sized, street-legal bikes intended to be ridden in cities and on highways.

If You're On The Road, You Need Insurance

So, let's phrase it this way: Anything you drive on the street, you're going to have to get insured. This means that you might or might not need a policy for your dirt bike or ATV, depending on where you intended to use and drive them. But for a Harley or a chopper or a Kawasaki, you are going to be treated just like any other motorist.

The whole purpose of mandatory auto insurance is to protect the other drivers on the road — which is why liability is the only legally required policy in most states.

Comprehensive and collision protection will cover your end. But property and bodily injury liability protection will help to ensure that if you hit someone in your vehicle or you crash through their fence, they won't have to cover it out of pocket — and neither will you.

If you ride a dirt bike, ATV or three-wheeler, you'll want to check Georgia laws on whether those are street legal in the first place, and whether or not they require riders to carry liability coverage.

Also Read: The Benefit of a Damage Deductible on a Motorcycle Policy

Posted 10:36 AM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019

View Mobile Version